Suggest remedy for burning sensation across abdomen after colonoscopy

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am experiencing a constant burning sensation across upper abdomen since having a colonoscopy procedure 2 days ago. This is my third colonoscopy within 8 yrs and have not experienced this symptom in past. Trying to discern what this might be and how to proceed.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be GERD

Detailed Answer:
Hi,I have read your query. I will try to help you.

I frankly think that the stress of the colonoscopy and the condition for which this has been performed may be causing a lot of Gastroesophageal reflux disease.

Ideally I would suggest a upper gi endoscopy. But I prefer to give my patient a course of proton pump inhibitors. Most of them respond to it, almost confirming the diagnosis.

Therefore I suggest you try to do the same.
Best of luck

Dr Mittal