Suggest remedy for boils on waistline

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I get a painful type of boil on my waistline, what I thought was maybe clothes pinching too tight. They'll get red and painful for a few days then go away, but sometimes leave a purplish mark afterwards.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not boils...possibly hematomas!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

The cause of this are not boils. Boils would rarely go away all by themselves without appropriate treatment and more to that leaving behind purplish marks.

This description is very suggestive of bleeding into the skin. This is possibly caused by repeated trauma as you mentioned from tight clothing or your belt if you do put on one. When blood gets deposited into the skin, it creates purplish, bluish, etc discoloration. With time, the body defense mechanisms chop up a good chunk and permit a change in the color towards normal skin color.

I will suggest that you avoid tight clothings around this area and tight fitting belts as well.This would be a major way to control these repeated swellings(hematomas).

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do fee free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.