• question-icon

    Suggest remedy for boil on skin

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I have just discovered a boil on my rear. Should I go to urgent care?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

I am sorry to hear that you have discovered this boil. most of the time these types of things will slowly resolve overtime with gentle supportive care.

However if you have a significant amount of pain or swelling or drainage from the affected area then it might be reasonable to see a local urgent care provider for possible prescription antibiotic.

for now I would consider taking some warm soaks in a bath for 15 to 20 minutes a couple times per day. In addition you can apply some topical antibiotic ointment that you can obtain over-the-counter at the pharmacy as well.

if symptoms continue despite these supportive care methods or if things get worse then I would certainly visit your local urgent care provider for further instructions and discussion.

Thank you again for sending the question.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Robert Galamaga


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 2638 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Topical antibiotic

doctor1 MD

My wife has had sores on her arms and legs for about 1 year. They're not painful unless she picks at them. When she does pick at them, there's a...

doctor1 MD

Hey doctor, Recently I noticed this black spot on the right side of my throat and I was just wondering if this is something I should get checked...

doctor1 MD

I think i just got bit by a spider. A lot of white spots that look like pimples , its red and swelling.

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

148 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Robert Galamaga
  • Q - Is chemo-therapy effective in treatment of carcinoma of the esophagus?

  • Q - What does a lump on nipple indicate?

  • Q - What causes MGUS with a M-spike of .2?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for depression with anxiety

  • Q - What causes high BP and low platelet count?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for stage 4 rectal cancer

  • Q - Can Arimidex usage cause raised bumps on arms and neck?

  • Q - What does low WBC count indicate?

  • Q - Does Gleason of 9 and PSA of 96 indicate prostate cancer?

  • Q - Does my blood work indicate cancer?