Suggest remedy for boil on lips

Dermatologist
Question
I have a big bump that kind of looks like a huge zit, a bug bite, or a boil just below my lip and above my chin. I can feel a small bump also on the inside of my mouth near my gum that seems to be part of it. It started yesterday morning (woke up with it) and that whole bottom right side of my face hurt. Later in the day it looked like I had a wad of dip in there. Today it is more isolated but red. It is about the size of a nickle and really hard and painful. I have washed it, squeezed it a little (no luck besides a tiny bit of clear liquid), and been putting hot compressed on there which helps for a little bit but then its bad again. Any ideas?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need for local antibiotic..proper hygiene

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You seem to have developed a lesion of folliculitis which is basically a superficial bacterial infection.
Keep the affected area clean and dry.
Apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the lesion twice a day .
Do not apply any other cream or oil over it.
Take some oral antihistamine like tablet claritin once a day or benadryl in the adult dosage . This will take care of the associated swelling .
You might need to take some oral anti inflammatory agent like paracetamol or Acetaminophen as well.
The lesion should recover in three to five days with this therapy.
If however, at any time you feel that the lesion is persisting or increasing, then you might need a course of oral antibiotics for which you will have to see your local doctor .

Dr Geetika Paul