Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

165 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest remedy for boil on lips

Answered by
Dr. Geetika Paul


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 2609 Questions

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have a big bump that kind of looks like a huge zit, a bug bite, or a boil just below my lip and above my chin. I can feel a small bump also on the inside of my mouth near my gum that seems to be part of it. It started yesterday morning (woke up with it) and that whole bottom right side of my face hurt. Later in the day it looked like I had a wad of dip in there. Today it is more isolated but red. It is about the size of a nickle and really hard and painful. I have washed it, squeezed it a little (no luck besides a tiny bit of clear liquid), and been putting hot compressed on there which helps for a little bit but then its bad again. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need for local antibiotic..proper hygiene

Detailed Answer:

You seem to have developed a lesion of folliculitis which is basically a superficial bacterial infection.
Keep the affected area clean and dry.
Apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the lesion twice a day .
Do not apply any other cream or oil over it.
Take some oral antihistamine like tablet claritin once a day or benadryl in the adult dosage . This will take care of the associated swelling .
You might need to take some oral anti inflammatory agent like paracetamol or Acetaminophen as well.
The lesion should recover in three to five days with this therapy.
If however, at any time you feel that the lesion is persisting or increasing, then you might need a course of oral antibiotics for which you will have to see your local doctor .

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Local antibiotic

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor I have attached the pic of my daughter. Just below the nose there is some phoray (phinsi). She is playful but it pains when touched. Please suggest what treatment we can give her for relief. Thanks!!

doctor1 MD

Hi, 2 weeks ago left forearm was swollen because infection. Was prescribed 10 days of Keflex (4x a day). After day 3, arm was normal size, few days later wound is closed but with loose and broken skin. After 10 days went for a followup and was...

doctor1 MD

My friend got bit by a mosquito 24 times, and she threw up, and now her toe (no bite there, or anywhere near it) is numb. She is also fatigued, and her right leg is sore.

doctor1 MD

I am 24 and currently breastfeeding my 2nd child who is just barely 1 month old. I recently had mastitis and will finish my dicloxacillin tomorrow. Yesterday in the early morning feeding I noticed some sores on my areola above and just below the nipple. They are painful to the touch and sting if my baby nurses or milk gets to the sores. I have stopped breastfeeding on that side and have been nuring on ther other side along with bottles of previously pumped milk.