Suggest remedy for body numbness

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Diabetes
Question: Ms. xxxxxx is 00 yrs. She has got all right Side of body . Please advise she is on ayurvedic medicine. Her sugar level is 254 mg/dl.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs immediate clinical evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Right side numbness may be the symptom of stroke (Paralysis).

In such situation, I would have advised to go to ER immediately.
There is a need for immediate neurological examination.
Depending upon neurological evaluation there may be need for Brain imaging like CT or MRI of Brain along with angiography.
Depending upon it further treatment can be planned.

Along with brain imaging following investigations may be advisable -
- Complete Blood Count.
- HbA1c.
- Lipid Profile.
- T3,T4, TSH.
- Renal function test.
- Kidney function test.
- Urine examination (including for ketones).
- ECG & 2DEcho of heart.
- Carotid artery doppler.

Depending upon all above test results, need for following medicines can be considered -
- Antiplatelets : Aspirin & /or clopidogrel.
- Statin : Cholesterol lowering medicine like Atorvastatin.
- Medicine for blood pressure.
- For blood glucose level control :
= Metformin can be considered if kidneys and heart status is normal.
= Along with Metformin other medicines like insulin or other antidiabetic medicines can considered.
- Diet control Calories and Fat restricted diet is advisable.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad