question-icon

Suggest remedy for blood in urine

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: I have blood in my urine What do I do?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Blood in the urine

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Blood in the urine can be from an irritation in the bladder or urethra, can be from a urinary tract infection, can be from a stone anywhere in the urinary tract, or can be from a mass. The most common causes are the first 3.

You can go in to an urgent care center where you will be examined and give a urine specimen. Depending on what that shows, the urine may be sent for a culture and you will be given an antibiotic if you have an infection. If that is not the case, they will advise you to have imaging studies such as a renal ultrasound. They may get an X-ray while you are there which can show if there are stones.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh