Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

200 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest remedy for blocked ear after vomiting

Answered by
Dr. Polash Sannigrahi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 3337 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi .. i vomited last night and ever since my left ear has been blocked .. is this normal ?
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Obstruction of Eustachian tube

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for your query.

Regarding the symptoms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following:
1. Any recent history of cough, cold, upper respiratory tract infection?
2. Any past history of systemic illness like Diabetes, Hypertension, Thyroid disorder, etc.?
3. Any associated symptoms of fever, giddiness, ear pain, difficulty in hearing, etc?

If your answer to the above mentioned questions is "NO", then the blocking sensation in the ear can be attributed to the in-equalization of pressure which has occurred during the episode of vomiting.
There is a connecting tract (known as Eustachian tube) between the nasopharynx & middle ear, which helps in maintaining the pressure equilibrium between nasopharynx and middle ear.
Any obstruction to this Eustachian tube, secondary to forceful vomiting or entry of food particles, leads to blockage/ discomfort in ear by causing un-equalisation of pressure between the nasopharynx & middle ear.

Symptomatic relief can be obtained with performing Valsalva maneuver, that is, take a deep breath, close your mouth & nose and try to blow out the air through the ears. The pressure generated due to this maneuver will relive the blockage in the tube and provide relief from blocking sensation.
In addition, you can use decongestant nasal drops, antihistamine preparations and perform jaw movements (e.g. use a chewing gum).
The vomiting sensation can be controlled by use of anti-emetics like Ondensetron preparations.

If it still persists, kindly consult an ENT Specialist & get a proper clinical examination done.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Valsalva maneuver

doctor1 MD


I am 28yrs old, VSD was detected in my heart during my childhood, however doctors suggested to wait and see if it closes by itself, however when 27 the symptoms grew and the Hole in Heart lead to dilation and slight rupture of Sinus of valsalva, I ended up having an open heart invasive surgery. Surgery treatment included closure of VSD as well as RSOV

I was told there was imbalance pressure at my left and right half of heart, and pressure difference was roughly 20 or 30 mmHg more than should have been for a normal heart, meaning one side(right) of heart was handling more pressure by 20mmHg than should have while the other half(left) was handling pressure by 20mmHg lesser than should have, and also there was mixing of oxygenated and de-oxygenated blood.

I have not gained weight even after surgery(surgical treatment done when i was 27yrs old)

My questions are:
1. What is my life expectancy? Have my life expectancy decreased by now than compared to what it would have been if I would have been normal from my birth, is there a maximum cap on the number of years I can live now?

I did try asking above question to my cardio surgeon but he did not provide a clear answer, just mentioned that I am normal now and would not have any problems

2. Before surgery I was told that the reason I had long hands and underweight was due to the defect VSD, due to the pumping of the heart at wrong pressures and causing different pressure values at arteries and veins, So my question is would I really some back to normal after the surgery? would my heart not have been adjusted to the earlier pressures(i would imagine the structure of heart to be adopted since the defect was from birth), so rectifying RSOV alone would have been sufficient and that closure of VSD wouldnt have adverse effect on my body as well as heart?

3. Since lesser percentage of oxygenated blood was circulating through my system including my brain all these years, would I have any issues like memory loss or underdeveloped brain, attributed due to that?

4. Would I be prone to any of the heart diseases in future or and related diseases like high/low Blood Pressure?

Please respond to my queries asap.


doctor1 MD

Hi there, I have suffered from (I think) Eustachian Tube Dysfunction for 3 years now. I have never had ear problems in the past and am a healthy 31 year old female. All of a sudden one day, my right ear started feeling as though I was descending on a plane at all times. I am able to clear it by doing valsalva maneuver but about 5-10 minutes after I do it my ear feels even worse (more pressure/fullness). Continuing to do valsalva just makes the problem much worse. Every once in a while I will swallow or yawn and my ear will clear and it s the most amazing feeling in the world, but within 5-30 minutes, the pressure is back. It seems like the more I try to fake yawn to clear my ear, the more the pressure builds. This is seriously affecting my day to day life - it is on my mind at all times and I have been to several doctors with no answers. Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

doctor1 MD

Is it possible that I could have a sliding hernia just under my breast bone that causes a tightness in my upper abdomen. When I stress that area it feels like my intestines are trying to push through. I have never actually seen or felt a bulge but...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I have a sharp pain that radiates posteriorly down my right leg when I defecate (specifically when I perform the Valsalva movement). The pain arose today and I have never had this type of pain before. I do not currently have a sore back nor a history of overuse/intensive exercise. Help!

doctor1 MD

Hi, I feel myself ok untill the time of bowel movements. Before bm my blood pressure gets a little high, I feel constipated, hard with bm. Do not use any laxatives. After inducing myself to have bm I have high blood pressure? What can it be. My...

doctor1 MD

we moved on the third floor and I started to feel like pressure in the ears and lighheaded is it possible being on third floor i was on the second you meant moving from the 2nd floor to the 3rd would not cause this thats good it had me worried I...

doctor1 MD

I went to my school urgent care today and the physcian was kind of confused about my heart rate sound, she noticed late end-systolic click murmur that reduced with valsalva and didn't increase with hand grip. she also put in my note ECG-NSR with incomplete RBB, AND CBC MILD ANEMIA what does all this mean I'm 21 years old and this is my second time going to a physician and experiencing the same symptomps and was reffered to see a cardiologist. can you please tell me what all of this could mean. thanks