Suggest remedy for back, lower chest and upper stomach pain

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Aug 2015 in General Health
Question: My back and lower chest, upper stomach ache when I walk or stand. I do have lupus with kidney involvement, kidney nephritis. My family practice doctor or rheumatologist does not know why my back and lower chest hurts.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low backache

Detailed Answer:
good evening

thank you for writing on health care magic

Well it is a bit unusual to have low backache and chest pain in lupus. But yes the pain can arise due to secondary complications of long term medications and with such inflammatory disease.

I would like to know if your X-ray of the spine has been carried out yet. and also the Dexa scan for osteoporosis.

These two are essential as you would have received steroids for long time and after menopause it is essential in ladies.

The sort of pain you are describing looks more of a mechanical one as it is only present on activity and not at rest.

do let me know if the tests were carried out and also if your rheumatologist considered any possibility of osteoporotic fracture.

would try to guide you further from here

regards
dr naval
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 1 hour later
It is middle back, not lower.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
CAuse of bachache

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Well, it is all the more reason you should get an X ray done and rule out any possible microfractures. The pain on standing does indicate your spine is unable to take the necessary load needed. So, when you sit down or lie down it gets better but aggravates on standing up. The pain radiating to the front could be due to the nerves it is compressing. It is a very common problem in patients on long term steroids.

Also get a DExa Scan done to see how much of Osteoporosis you have.

DO let me know for more queries. Would be happy to help out

I guess the answer will lie somewhere in the X ray or if needed an MRI.

Dr Naval