Suggest remedy for aspiration pneumonia post surgery

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My son aspirated just prior to major trauma surgery, developed aspiration pneumonia. He had 3 positive xrays showing pneumonia present. He was discharged on the 4th day post op with pneumonia, wheezing, difficulty breathing. He is 43.

Is this routine care in hospitals?

Thank you, XXXXXXX (mom)
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Routine care, continue medications, will resolve. No worries

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Aspiration pneumonia is sometimes inevitable in these major trauma surgeries. 3 to 4 days of hospitalisation with IV antibiotics are sufficient. Now that he has been sent home with the medications, i am sure these would be sufficient. keep an eye on his temperature and manage his symptoms conservatively with the medications prescribed. Complinace to medications and completing the couse of antibiotics is advised.

Get a regular follow up after a week and stay put with his doctor. His symptoms will resolve. No worries.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

regards
Khan

Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 11 minutes later
Thank you. He had a chest xray today. He is better, but still having breathing difficulties at times. I don't know the results yet.

I'm having issues of my own. Is it possible to talk with a neurosurgeon about what I've been told so far by my neurosurgeon? I am so scared!
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good . yes for neurosurgeons.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

It's good to hear your son is improving. Hope for the best. Breathing issues will subside too. Regarding neurosurgeon opinion yes we do have neurosurgeons on our panel. But you have to address them in specific for their opinion I am afraid you can't be redirected from here.

If you are comfortable enough to share your symptoms with me may be I could help or give you my opinion . I would love to help what so ever the way I can.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 16 minutes later
Thank you so much. My situation is complicated. I would prefer to address them directly to a neurosurgeon if you don't mind. My husband was a physician, but he passed in 2008. I so wish I could ask him as he had neurosurgery training as well as being profoundly knowledgeable in all things medical.
I miss him so much for the person he was and the husband he was to me. We would have been married 50 years last January. Sorry, too much information and now I'm crying. Silly woman of 70 here.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
:(

Detailed Answer:
I am really sorry for your loss.

I wish i could help you more. Please let me know if there is any thing i can do for you. i will be here for you. And please don't use such words for your emotions, they are genuine and part of human life. Ask a question of your health query here and addresse in highlight please answer by a neurosurgeon and the team will redirect you to one.

i hope it helps.
Khan
Thank you so much. You are a very kind person.

I will say goodbye for now. Thank you again.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
:)

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome mam

and me being here for you, i mean it. Please take good care of yourself and don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything i can help you with.

regards
Khan