Suggest remedy for acute insomnia

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Need help with pm medication for insomnia waking up feeling very tired and usually only sleep for about 4 hours
Taking 7.5 mg remeron
25mg Zoloft
.5 mg Ativan
What can I do to restructure things to get a better night sleep
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
in some persons zoloft may cause insomnia

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Though many persons have drowsiness when they use zoloft, there are some persons who have the opposite effect.

It can cause insomnia or disturbance of the sleep cycle in some persons and it helps them better if taken in the morning. This would apply if you are having difficulty falling asleep, possibly due to the zoloft.

This possible change can be discussed with your doctor.

The dose of the ativan can also be increased slightly to 1 mg to sleep if this extends your sleep cycle.

Sleep hygiene is also important. There are different aspects to sleep hygiene eg
(1)no exercising 2 hours before bedtime
(2)no reading or watching tv in bed
(3)if not asleep after 20 to 30 mins, get out of bed, do something calming or boring for till sleepy and then try again
(4)avoid alcohol, caffeine and smoking within 4 to 6 hour window of bed time

These are some aspects of sleep hygiene

If your sleep is still disturbed, your doctor may need to refer you to a sleep specialist for assistance.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions