Suggest remedy for accidental ingestion of Hydrocodone by an infant

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My friend called me and said that she was breaking her hydrocone in half because she only takes a half of one at a time, and a few tiny pieces fell onto the table where her toddler was sitting. 19 months old. And she turned around for a second to grab a paper towel and her son put his hand on the pieces then put his hand in his mouth. She seen the pieces on his tounge. Quickly washed his tounge then made him drink lots of water. They were very tiny pieces, and he's been acting normal all day. Can he die from that?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances of side effects are less as critical period has been passed

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I can understand your concern.The most common and serious side effect of opioid(hydrocone)overdose is respiratory depression and sedation.
After oral ingestion the peak effect reaches at around 90-120 minutes.
You have mentioned that the child is active and behaving normally all the day(that means 24 hours).
Although even the small amount of hydrocone can be toxic to small children(depends on individual's metabolism),but here the chances of toxicity is very less as the critical period has been passed.
I would suggest her to keep all the medication out of reach of children and observe the baby for any abnormal symptoms.If she finds any abnormality consult a pediatrician for evaluation and management accordingly.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more doubts.