Suggest remedy for abdominal inflammation and chronic constipation

Posted on Thu, 3 Dec 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My father is 79 years old, He is feeling severe inflammation in his stomach. It becomes very uncomfortable in night. He is having chronic constipation problem for last several years. In his blood and urine test there is no abnormality. In ultrasound report, there is swelling in sigmoid colon. He is having piles (dry type) problem for last several years. Please suggest what to do.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get sigmoidoscopy to see the cause of swelling in sigmoid colon

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for putting your query in hcm. I can understand your concerns regarding your father. For inflammation causing pain in stomach I will advise gim to give a protonpump inhibitor like omeprazole along with a prokinetic agent like domperidone. For constipation give him polyethylene glycol after dissolving it in a glass of water. For swelling in sigmoid colon I will advise him to undergo sigmoidoscopy to see the cause of that swelling XXXXXXX can be malignancy also. For making stool softer give him lots of fruits and vegetables and may add psyllium fibres. For hemorrhoids give him capsule dobesil thrice a day. I hope I have answered your query and this will him. Wish him a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist