Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suggest remedy for a large piece of almond lodged in throat

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 709 Questions
I swallowed a large piece of almond and now it feels like it has lodged into the left part of my throat. I can feel slight irritation, and when I swallow I can feel a slight jabbing pain in the same area. Will the almond dissolve with time? It has me concerned and it makes swallowing or regurgitating painful and fruitless. I haven't been able to sleep tonight .
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
see a doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Please see a gastroenterologist or emergency physician. You may need an upper GI endoscopy to be certain and also to remove the piece if it is lodged. Almond may crack into smaller pieces but will not dissolve.

Do not eat anything meanwhile. Eating something is contraindicated for endoscopy.

Do not worry, It is a simple procedure. A scope will be introduced through your mouth and the food pipe will be visualised on a monitor.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest remedy for a large piece of almond lodged in throat 1 hour later
I was able to clear part of the almond from my throat last night. There's a little left and some irritation. When do you think I should go to get it checked. I don't have insurance so I need to play it smart financially
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
it will come out do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
If part of it has come out then usually the rest comes out. You may feel the irritation for awhile after it comes out.

So do not worry sir, rest of it will come out. If you continue to feel the discomfort for more than a day, see your doctor.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor