Suggest remedy for a large piece of almond lodged in throat

ENT Specialist
Question
I swallowed a large piece of almond and now it feels like it has lodged into the left part of my throat. I can feel slight irritation, and when I swallow I can feel a slight jabbing pain in the same area. Will the almond dissolve with time? It has me concerned and it makes swallowing or regurgitating painful and fruitless. I haven't been able to sleep tonight .
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
see a doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Please see a gastroenterologist or emergency physician. You may need an upper GI endoscopy to be certain and also to remove the piece if it is lodged. Almond may crack into smaller pieces but will not dissolve.

Do not eat anything meanwhile. Eating something is contraindicated for endoscopy.

Do not worry, It is a simple procedure. A scope will be introduced through your mouth and the food pipe will be visualised on a monitor.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi

Follow-up: Suggest remedy for a large piece of almond lodged in throat 1 hour later
I was able to clear part of the almond from my throat last night. There's a little left and some irritation. When do you think I should go to get it checked. I don't have insurance so I need to play it smart financially

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
it will come out do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
If part of it has come out then usually the rest comes out. You may feel the irritation for awhile after it comes out.

So do not worry sir, rest of it will come out. If you continue to feel the discomfort for more than a day, see your doctor.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi