Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Suggest remedy for a boil on hip

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I have a skin problem. this is small bulge which has come on my upper part of my knee near the hip (photo attached ). it does not hurt but gives me discomfort while walking because my underware always brushes it. if you touch it gives a feeling that water kind of stuff is there and I can feel it. there is no puss which comes out.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Superficial boil.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
I have seen the image attached. It seems to be a fluid filled boil due to superficial skin infection or inflammation.
It can also occur due to foreign substance within the body (a needle or a splinter, for example). It may develop because of obstructed sebaceous or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles.

Since it is small, you can apply warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes, four times daily. And once the area is completely drained you can apply a bandage over the packing.

If the surrounding area has any surrounding skin infection then you will need to get antibiotics prescribed by a Physician. And also check your blood sugars. People with high blood sugars are prone to develop such skin lesions. Do not pop it to drain the fluid as it increases the chances of infection.
You can also apply a topical antiseptic cream like neosporin after the fluid is drained.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor