Suggest remedy for a boil on hip

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have a skin problem. this is small bulge which has come on my upper part of my knee near the hip (photo attached ). it does not hurt but gives me discomfort while walking because my underware always brushes it. if you touch it gives a feeling that water kind of stuff is there and I can feel it. there is no puss which comes out.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Superficial boil.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the image attached. It seems to be a fluid filled boil due to superficial skin infection or inflammation.
It can also occur due to foreign substance within the body (a needle or a splinter, for example). It may develop because of obstructed sebaceous or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles.

Since it is small, you can apply warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes, four times daily. And once the area is completely drained you can apply a bandage over the packing.

If the surrounding area has any surrounding skin infection then you will need to get antibiotics prescribed by a Physician. And also check your blood sugars. People with high blood sugars are prone to develop such skin lesions. Do not pop it to drain the fluid as it increases the chances of infection.
You can also apply a topical antiseptic cream like neosporin after the fluid is drained.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal