Suggest remedy and treatment for stress

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
getting stressed up. not able to concentrate in anything. Huge financial loss happened out of nowhere. Not able to sleep for last 4 days. food intake reduced drastically(I had to act like I have cold and mild fever). feeling manageable breathlessness in evening time.Not taking any medication. I can not share financial loss with family as of now as they may get stressed up. It will take years to build that lost amount.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Psychiatrist referral required

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us,

You mention that you are experiencing a financial loss that may take years to build again. It is only natural to get anxious in such a situation. When there is a stressor in one's life, adjusting to it is not easy at all times and may need to be assisted by professionals. Reduced sleep, reduced appetite, panic attacks are symptoms of the same. Are there any other symptoms that you are experiencing apart from these?
Issues like whether or not this should be told to your family members, if yes, how to go about it, etc. has to be discussed in detail with an experienced psychiatrist/psychologist and proper steps need to be taken accordingly. You require a detailed psychiatric evaluation before this can be done. In my opinion you may not require any medications at this point if you respond well to therapies/ non-pharmacological treatment. You will need to practice some relaxation techniques to help you cope with these symptoms. If the problems persist, only then medications may be considered.

Hope this helps,
Dr A Rao