Suggest remedies to improve breast milk during lactation

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: How can I increase my breastmilk supply.i m exclusively breastfeeding and have tried pumping, fenugreek eating lots of green papaya drinking lots of water.please suggest o prescribe any medication..
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tablet Lactare and Tab Perinorm, continue breast feeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting the query
I can understand your concern.
Most important advice to the nursing mothers is for regular suckling of the breast by the babies with equal interval for the establishment of suckling reflex.

SO THE SUCKLING REFLEX(SUCKING OF THE BREAST) IS THE MOST IMPORTANT AND KEY INSTRUMENT FOR THE ENHANCED PRODUCTION OF BREAST MILK.

It is possible that there may be improper positioning and attachment at the nipple and areola . Baby should suck not only at the nipple. It should have the nipple and areola together in it's mouth. Please check if there are any deficiencies with latching on.

Try drinking plenty of liquids and milk.

This will increase milk output.

Mother should be provided privacy, comfortable space for tension free suckling.
Mother should be mentally cool, calm, with comfortable posture.
Proper nutrition of the mother should be taken care ( high protein diet like plenty of pulses etc)

Multivitamin, iron and calcium supplementation to be continued.

Some herbal medicine like LACTARE Capsule 2, twice daily said to be help in the enhanced lactation for 2-3 week.

Metoclorpropamide tablets (Tab Perinorm one trice daily for two to three weeks also do help in some enhanced lactation.

If you have any doubts you are welconme, otherwise kindly close the thread and rate it.
Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 22 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thank you for your response.
I have pcos and while pregnant I was taking metformin and susten. Will the medicines prescribed by you still help me. Secondly I stay abroad and can't access lactare. As Internet says it's main component is shatavari,can I take it , as shatavari is available here. If so whats the dose.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing back
Shatavari is a Ayurvedic drug, i cant recommend you to take it. As i am allopathy doctor.
Metformin and sustin is not related to milk production.
You can try home remedies for increase in milk production, if latcare is not available over there.
There are several prescription drugs that have been used to increase milk supply, which are available in abroad likeMetoclopramide (Reglan), Domperidone (Motilium), and sulpiride (Eglonyl, Dolmatil, Sulpitil, Sulparex, Equemote).
you can try above drugs.

Dr Priyanka G Raj

Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 41 hours later
Thank you ma'am.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:

You are most welcome

Wishing you good health

Dr Priyanka G Raj