Suggest remedies persistent low grade fever in a 48 year old woman

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: HI, I have had a low grade fever off and on for 6+ months. This time it's been a week so far. I have an in-ear thermometer and my left ear registers at 99.6 while my right ear is 98.9. I usually have a temp around 97.6. I feel tired and sometimes feel sick and blah. My Dr. says he has no idea why this would be, and doesn't think anything of it. I can't help feeling that there is something wrong. Can you give me any suggestions?
I'm a female and 48yrs. old.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
use an oral thermometer

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question
First of all the in ear thermometers are not that accurate. I suggest that you get an oral thermometer and use that only. The normal range for oral temperatures is 97.6 to 99.6.
Low grade fevers can come from viral infections, autoimmune illnesses or even stress. It could be that your immune system is reacting to something that is irritating it.
The first thing I would do is clean up your diet and rid it of all highly allergenic foods. These include dairy, wheat, soy, eggs, fish, shellfish, nuts and peanuts.
Cutting way back on sweets and carbohydrates can improve your energy. Taking a multivitamin may also help.
Regular exercise, even walking for 30 minutes, can improve your health as well.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson