Suggest remedies for withdrawal symptoms of Oxycontin

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Cancer
Question: I suffer from severe chronic pain and have been prescribed, by a pain specialist, for the last ten years oxycontin. Current dosage was 100 mg and he has lowered it by 20 mg over last three months because he says the government and CDC are now demanding this medication is too dangerous.The pain it was taking care of has worsened and he's not replacing it with anything. Please mind you at one time he had me taking 100 mg ea of oycontin & the same of methadone& My total back is fused, with scoliosis that popped up between 2nd and 3rd fusions he perfomed on my spine. I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue syndrome ... I suffer from a great deal of pain & need help.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
may need to add something

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand that the pain has worsened after reducing dose of oxycontin. So either we need to increase it back or add something else. Methadone can be tried again.

Other class of medicines which may be effective in you are pregabalin or duloxetine.

You will still need to discuss with your pain specialist for the treatment modification.

Hope this helps.