• question-icon

Suggest remedies for white vaginal discharge

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor,
I have a problem with vaginal discharge. Sometimes it is just plain watery and some days there is a thick like substance (read curd like substance) that is being released with a very foul smell. Could this be a yeast infection? Please help on what medications I need to take to get rid of this.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a yeast infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

A discharge like this is not normal and usually reflects an infection of either bacterial, fungal or parasitic origin. It is certainly not possible to presume what the cause is without the benefit of examining you and performing a microscopic exam of the discharge.

In the absence of being able to do this, I'd advise you to try an over the counter preparation to treat a possible fungal cause. This would be Clotrimazole and is used once daily at bedtime for at least 3 days. It is a topical cream actually which is inserted into the vagina.

I suspect however that what is causing this is either bacterial vaginosis or possibly a sexually transmitted disease. For this reason, I recommend you see your doctor as soon as possible for an examination and appropriate medical management. This will usually respond quickly with a properly selected antibiotic.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow-up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN