Suggest remedies for weight loss

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Ayurveda
Question: Hi,

As per my BMI my weight should be 65kg but its now around 80. Need help for reducing weight.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ayurveda Management

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following is/are recommended guidelines:

1. If obesity appears hormonal or pathological,consult to an Endocrinologist.
PS. mainly Thyroid and Lipid profile.

A. DIETARY AND LIFESTYLE CHANGES

1. There is a limit to how much one can exercise every day. An average (non athlete) person cannot run or exercise vigorously for more than 30 minutes i.e. you cannot burn more than 300 calories through EXERCISE everyday! So it is important to control the tongue, along with whatever exercise you do:

½ hour of walking burn 130 calories

½ hour of jogging/running burn 300-350 calories

½ hour of swimming burn 250 calories

½ hour of cycling burn 150 calories

½ hour of aerobic exercise burn 250 calories

½ hour of light exercise like writing/driving burn 50 calories

i.e. if you don’t exercise you consume about 2000-2500 calories per day. To this you Add any of the above exercise protocol to consume more calories, and keep your calorie consumption below 2000 per day and you will be losing weight

2. Tips on Eating: Starvation is not the right way to loose weight. Take the right type of diet and eat heartily:

AVOID:

.sedentary lifestyle, day time sleeping after meals, newly harvested rice, curd, butter, ghee, cheese, cream, chocolates, cakes, pastries, ice-creams, XXXXXXX

. oils should be reduced to minimum, avoid deep fried foods like puries,bhujees,potato chips.

.avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, yam, nuts, fruits with sweet pulp like XXXXXXX chickoos, bananas and grapes.

. Avoid processed and tinned foods, opt for fresh foods

. Drinking cold water after exercise.

. Eliminate all cold food and drink; you should eat nothing that is refrigerator cold.

WHAT TO EAT:

.start the meal with large bowl of thin soup, followed by good volume of salads prepared with green vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, cucumber, sprouted pulses). This will prevent you from taking extra servings of the meals. Drink plenty of water and diluted buttermilk.

.Avoid rice, take roti or phulka,without oil or ghee.The bhaji servings should be prepared from green leafy vegetables,onions, cauliflower’s,lady’s finger,radish, turnips, mushrooms, sprouted pulses. Oil may be substituted by gravy of tomato, onion, garlic, and ginger, in the curry or bhaji for taste.

. For morning and evening snacks, take recommended fruits, vegetables and low fat (skimmed) milk, black tea without sugar has negligible calories.

. Carbohydrates: fat requires carbohydrates to burn, so take them in moderation like grains.

B. DEVELOP HEALTHY EATING HABITS:

. Do not eat only 2 large meals a day. It leads to overeating due to hunger. Take snacks in between. It is advisable to eat a good breakfast and light lunch and dinner.

. Keep a quiet and pleasant atmosphere in the dining hall. Watching TV while eating, talking, arguments, angry discussions all lead to overeating

. Eat slowly; chewing each bite thoroughly gives a feeling of satiation.

. Do not be tempted to finish up the leftovers.

. Use nonstick cooking ware for cooking

C. If you have already started with all or some of the regime described above (do let me know) so that I can prescribe you the medicine which I usually give to my patients.

PS. If interested I can provide you with sample diet for Obesity/Overweight.

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant Physician
Naimittika

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 34 minutes later

Thank you so much for detailed information.

Thyroid and Lipid profile tests were done 2 years ago and they were negative.

I usually don't get time for exercise, I think a sample diet plan for obesity / overweight would help me.

Simultaneously, you may also suggest some ayurvedic medicines if required and if they will help reducing weight without any side effects.

Once again thank you.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sample Diet in Overweight

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back and following diet chart you can incorporate along with previous consultation:

1. Early morning: tea without sugar ( 1 cup)
2. Breakfast: 2 slice bread with glass of skimmed milk
3. Mid morning (10-11 a.m.): one fruit serving (apple-papaya-orange) or anything of your choice
4. Lunch: 1 Roti/chapati or 3 Phulka(without oil) and 1/2 bowl rice
. One bowl Dal or cooked vegetables or both
. 1/2 plate salad
5. Evening: tea (without sugar) and either 1 piece bread-or any fruit
6. Dinner: 1 bowl soup
. 2 Phulka with vegetable or Dal (1 bowl)
7. At bedtime: 1/2 glass skimmed milk

Dr. Munish
Naimittika

for direct online link click: bit.Iy/drmunishsood
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 4 hours later
Thank you Dr. Munish,

I some clarifications

1. Early morning: tea without sugar ( 1 cup) - its absolutely no sugar or can have sugar free?

2. Breakfast: 2 slice bread with glass of skimmed milk - Can I use skimmed milk powder? Bread should be white or brown? Any other item apart from bread? like toast, etc. or no?

3. Mid morning (10-11 a.m.): one fruit serving (apple-papaya-orange) or anything of your choice - OK, can you please suggest which fruits i should avoid?

. 1/2 plate salad - Can i also take small portion of curd with sugar or no?

5. Evening: tea (without sugar) and either 1 piece bread-or any fruit - OK

6. Dinner: 1 bowl soup
. 2 Phulka with vegetable or Dal (1 bowl) - Making soup everyday wont be feasible, can you suggest alternate?

7. At bedtime: 1/2 glass skimmed milk - OK

Thanks and regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
further assistance

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back.

1. Absolutely no sugar/no sugar free
2. No skimmed milk powder, brown bread is ideal, apart from bread, porridge,oats can be taken
3. Avoid fruit with sweet pulp: XXXXXXX chickoo,banana,grapes
4. Buttermilk is better alternate to curd
5. When making Dal (pulses) in pressure cooker when you are about to whistle the Dal,take out some water from the dal (containing spices) and then boil it and you can use it as soup (dal ka paani).

PS. If you don't get much chance to do exercise then one very good natural product for you will be "SIT & BURN FAAT" which is free from cholesterol and caffeine, and best suitable for those who don't get much chance for physical activity.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad