Suggest remedies for weight loss
About 4 years ago I was a very heavy guy, only 5ft 6in and 100 kilos (maybe a little over even).
I took heavily to calorie counting and started on a 1200 calorie diet. I did not eat too healthy and neither did I exercise. I just cut calories. I was, at this point also a heavy smoker (at least 10 - 13 cigs a day).
Fast forward 1.5 years or so (by 2013) and my weight was down to 75kg and I was feeling great.
But I didn't exercise and the smoking became even higher (I run my own successful businesses and it gets quite stressful at times - some even say that I thrive on stress) and there was no exercise in my life.
I would work late nights and have erratic schedules and generally just go on, because I felt awesome because of the new "thin me".
Fast forward to 2015 January and I was starting to have strange panic attacks / a sense of nervousness, balance issues (a bouncy type feeling) and more "weird symptoms" such as ringing ears and vibrations. I promptly quit smoking and visited a doctor who put me on antidepressants (serta) and some beta blockers to aid my quit.
These medicines made me worse and even after 5 months I felt very "off". And despite exercising a little, I quit all the meds and started to notice weight gain.
I shifted to a new doc (by this time I had some balance problems happening which they said were perceptual). After a few months of treatment and blood tests for disease, vitamin levels, lipid profiles etc. , he also kind of gave up.
During the above, I successfully traveled across the country, closed several deals and was still working what one would call a super "high stress / endless hours work life".
I also upped my calorie intake to 1500. But my weight was up substantially (to 84kg).
By December of 2015 my balance issues were back, I was feeling strange pains all Over and had many feelings come back (which had subsided during my high power work days in the previous months).
I visited a known neurologist who then (after looking at my details and test reports) said that I have chronic fatigue and that I must learn to live a balanced lifestyle with adequate exercise, rest and food.
I took to the challenge and restructured everything, started eating more (1600 calories), started walking daily and getting sleep. Till date I've continued the new routing and now, have moved from just walks to some gym and physical training (cardio and strength) 3 - 4 times a week.
The weird bouncy feelings still
Occur on and off. I still get some brain fog at times and feel defocused at times. I do feel that I can make it through in the long haul and get healthy but I need help with how to cut weight again.
I am 88 - 90kg today and I am unable to lose weight (despite the exercise). The weight is really upsetting me.
How can I work to increase my overall wellbeing and also cut down the weight?
need Information before commencing forward
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and before proceeding further some brief explanation is required from your side refarding dizziness/weight gain:
1. Any ENT examination done to exclude peripheral cause of bouncy feeling?
2. Did Neurologist exclude central causes (brain disorder) for the same?
3. Is your blood sugar and thyroid profile normal?
4. Have you stopped taking the anti depressant and antihypertensive medicine: ( it could be adverse drug reaction or if discontinued then withdrawl reaction.
5. Any unusual physical/mental STRESS?
PS. could possibly be CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome).
6. Do revert back with your concerns for symptomwise approach and management.
Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
Here are the answers:
1. Ent examined me asked me to see a neurologist and het an MRI if advised by him.
2 neurologist heard my story, examines me and said it was CFS and no need for MRI.
3. Blood sugar and thyroid is normal.
4. Discobtinued 7 minths ago.
5. Indont know if inam stressed. Just the usual amount
Thanks for reverting back.
. I'm Doctor in Holistic/Alternative Medicine comprising of Ayurveda,Unani,Siddha & Homeoapthy.
. Your answers to basic queries are given as under:
A. TO REDUCE WEIGHT:
DIETARY AND LIFESTYLE CHANGES
1. There is a limit to how much one can exercise every day. An average (non athlete) person cannot run or exercise vigorously for more than 30 minutes i.e. you cannot burn more than 300 calories through EXERCISE everyday! So it is important to control the tongue, along with whatever exercise you do:
½ hour of walking burn 130 calories
½ hour of jogging/running burn 300-350 calories
½ hour of swimming burn 250 calories
½ hour of cycling burn 150 calories
½ hour of aerobic exercise burn 250 calories
½ hour of light exercise like writing/driving burn 50 calories
i.e. if you don’t exercise you consume about 2000-2500 calories per day. To this you Add any of the above exercise protocol to consume more calories, and keep your calorie consumption below 2000 per day and you will be losing weight
2. Tips on Eating: Starvation is not the right way to loose weight. Take the right type of diet and eat heartily:
.Sedentary lifestyle, day time sleeping after meals, newly harvested rice, curd, butter, ghee, cheese, cream, chocolates, cakes, pastries, ice-creams, XXXXXXX
.Oils should be reduced to minimum, avoid deep fried foods like puries,bhujees,potato chips.
.Avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, yam, nuts, fruits with sweet pulp like XXXXXXX chickoos, bananas and grapes.
. Avoid processed and tinned foods, opt for fresh foods
. Drinking cold water after exercise.
. Eliminate all cold food and drink; you should eat nothing that is refrigerator cold.
WHAT TO EAT:
.Start the meal with large bowl of thin soup, followed by good volume of salads prepared with green vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, cucumber, sprouted pulses). This will prevent you from taking extra servings of the meals. Drink plenty of water and diluted buttermilk.
.Avoid rice, take roti or phulka,without oil or ghee.The bhaji servings should be prepared from green leafy vegetables,onions,cauliflower’s,lady’s finger,radish, turnips, mushrooms, sprouted pulses. Oil may be substituted by gravy of tomato, onion, garlic, and ginger, in the curry or bhaji for taste.
. For morning and evening snacks, take recommended fruits, vegetables and low fat (skimmed) milk, black tea without sugar has negligible calories.
. Carbohydrates: fat requires carbohydrates to burn, so take them in moderation like grains.
2. DEVELOP HEALTHY EATING HABITS:
. Do not eat only 2 large meals a day. It leads to overeating due to hunger. Take snacks in between. It is advisable to eat a good breakfast and light lunch and dinner.
. Keep a quiet and pleasant atmosphere in the dining hall. Watching TV while eating, talking, arguments, angry discussions all lead to overeating g.
. Eat slowly; chewing each bite thoroughly gives a feeling of satiation.
. Do not be tempted to finish up the leftovers.
. Use nonstick cooking ware for cooking
1. Ayurveda though is a slower process, but in case of weight loss: haste makes waste, so one has to be gradual in his approach.
2. It is wise to take vitamin and mineral supplementation during this period, to ensure that your body does not lack any nutrients
1. Some Ayurveda compounds which are prescribed for weight reduction include: Triphala,Arogya vardhini Vati,, Chandraprabha Vati,Triphala Guggulu and since these are prescription drugs you should contact with your Local Ayurveda Physician regarding their dosage because overuse of guggulu can cause dryness of mouth,faintness,emaciation,and looseness of limbs.
B. CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
. If you are comfortable and satisfied regarding observation given for weight loss then do let me know if you are interested in going ahead with CFS management and general well being.
Thank younsonmicj for your detailed answer. Inreally appreciate it!
I will try to follow these guidelines and let the weight loss take its time.
Please do tell me more about CFS management and generall wellbeing.
Ayurveda concept of CFS
Thanks for reverting back.
1. In Ayurveda we manage CFS on the line of 'bala kshaya' and usually start with balancing the 'Agni/Pitta' [Digestive & Metabolic Enzymes] i.e. which converts food in the form of energy which is responsible for all the vital functions of our body, and it is the LIVER which carries the most important role of Agni or Pitta in Ayurveda and therefore it is said in Ayurveda that all disease arise from hypofunction of Agni:
" sarve roga mandagni", thus one should take herbs which act specifically on liver, like: Kutki ( picrorhiza kurroe), XXXXXXX (aloe vera),haridra ( circuma longa), bhumyamlaki (phyllanthus nurri),Sharpunkha.
2. Also there is evidence that CFS is connected with poor functioning of Immune System (Ojo kshaya) due to inappropriate diet,stress, and build up of toxin in the body due to which there is imbalance between mind-body-soul, as such Rasayan Therapy ( Immunomodulation) is advised i.e. which corrects dysfunction of tissues without disturbing the function of normal tissues and also Rasayan drugs potentiate humoral antibodies by increasing serum Immunoglobulin, like: Ashwagandha, Vacha, Trikatu, Mandukparni,Shatavri are best Immunomodulators.
PS. check with your Adrenal Glands status, since its exhaustion can be a cause of fatigue.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest ideas for weight loss
- Suggest medication for weight loss and pain
- Suggest treatment for weight loss
- Ancient remedies for weight loss
- Suggest plan for weight loss management
- Remedy for vomiting no appetite fatigue and weight loss
- What is the suggested medication for weight loss
- What treatment is suggested for weight loss
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and weight loss
- Suggest some diet fitness and weight loss tips
- Bleeding from anus after passing stools, frequent smelly bowel movements...
- Child's skin becoming darker with little sun exposure. Stool is always...
- Suffered from Malaria, Chicken pox and skin problems. How keep myself...
- Underweight. Taking Ayruvedic treatment. No improvement. Suggest
- Have dry skin and soryasis symptoms on head. Has white spots on legs....
- Frequently suffer with dehydration. How can I overcome it?
- Suffering from Varicose veins in leg with swelling and pain which causes...
- Frequently getting cold and fever. How to gain weight and increase...
- Uderweight and having poor appetite. Started vomiting while eating. Help?
- What are the benefits of using baal amrit?