Suggest remedies for vaginitis

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I went to the lake and was on the last days of my period. When I got back to the lake house I started watching a movie with family and fell asleep with my tampon on. The next morning I immediately removed it and nothing seemed wrong. However, once I got in the shower and began washing myself I felt a burning sensation. When I observed myself I noticed that my labia minora had what I describe as a rash of red dots on it. It caused me discomfort throughout the day (not painful) and burned a bit when urinating. My mom gave me an antibiotic cream to apply to it and it seemed to help and my labia minora went back to being pink as usual, but then after my shower today the red spots returned. There was however, no burning sensation. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
vaginitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
What you have developed is vaginitis and infection secondary to tampon usage for long. The aim is to continue applying the antibiotic ointment locally for thrice a day for next 5 days and keep the local area dry. You may take an antihistaminic like tab CETRIZINE 5mg twice a day for next 3 days to control the itching and the rash as well.
Vaginitis generally requires 5 days of antibiotic treatment, ideally oral antibiotics. This shall subside, if local antibiotic doesn't work then you may opt for oral antibiotics instead.