Suggest remedies for urinary retention

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am having trouble urinating.I have the urge,but just have a small stream.I have a doctors appointment in the morning.Is it safe to wait until morning?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can wait until morning unless the symptoms will get unbearable...

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

Your case:
- 74 years old male
- symptoms: trouble urinating, have the urge, but small stream
- already taking tamsulosin

From what you are reporting, I can see that you are suffering of prostate enlargement (explaining why you are taking tamsulosin).

The problems of urge to urinate with small stream are suggestive of any possible recent infection of urinary tract including bladder infection.
An urine analysis and urine culture are needed to rule them out.

Abdominal ultrasound is needed to evaluate at what extent the urinary pathways have been narrowed and the status of prostate and kidneys.

You can wait until tomorrow unless the symptoms are unbearable, and if so, should go to ER.

For the moment, I advise to:
- go to toilet once you feel the need
- increase water intake with oral rehydration salt
- take antacid to stabilize urine pH; if you do not have any antacid, can have a soda drink
- cranberry supplement or uva-ursi tea can help ease your urinary problems.

Hope this helps.
Dr.Albana