Suggest remedies for urinary retention in a person with multiple sclerosis

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My son has MS. He hasn't been able to urinate since yesterday. He went to the ER, but they did nothing. His family doctor only prescribed flomax and antibiotics. In the meantime, he is in pain from the full bladder He expected they would put in a catheter. We live in XXXXXXX and for some reason he is often misdiagnosed and mis-prescribed. Im sure this is MS related and he would need something to relax his neurogenic bladder. Do you have a suggestion?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should be voided.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Of course MS is related to this issue. Often such an acute onset is triggered by a urinary infection. For that reason I suppose the doctors were hoping that by treating that by antibiotics and by giving a help with Flomax (which purpose is to relax his bladder as you were hoping) no catheter would be necessary.

However now something else has to be done about it, if he hasn't urinated yet and is in pain with a full bladder it should be intervened. Other medications apart from Flomax might include terazosin, prazosin or oxybutynin. At this stage though I would go at the ER again though, I think they should catheterize him this time.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.