Suggest remedies for tooth sensitivity

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 1 Jun 2018 in Dental Health
Question: my lower back teeth are going nuts on me ,i had crowns on four lower and the last three days i went from cold sensitive to warm now it warm thats bothering me idont knowwhats going on
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably nerve exposure due to secondary Infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As you have crown over the four lower teeth and now they are sensitive to hot and cold, then it can be Probably nerve exposure on one or multiple crowned teeth..

It can be due to decay in teeth, fracture of the teeth, gum recession etc..

So first of all can you please tell that were your teeth Root canal treatment before capping?

Is the sensitivity always present?

Can you see any roots of teeth exposed due to gum recession?

Are any of crowned teeth loose?

Is there any pain or discomfort when you bite on the crowned teeth?

Can you observe any food accumulation between the crowns and teeth?

Please revert back with answers..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 4 hours later
i did notice the back lower molar the gum around it seemed to be not as surrounded by the gum. the last several weeks my tongue would find itself exploring the open pocket behind the tooth. to answer your question about wheather the teeth had root canals before they were crowned yes they were
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should get an x ray done..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the reply..

If your teeth were root canal treated then sensitivity is not possible because in root canal treatment nerve is removed from the tooth that are responsible for sensation..

So the problem can either be due to deep gum infection and / or Infection below the root tips of the teeth that is periapical Infection..

So my suggestion is to once get a clinical examination and an x ray done..

Initially a course of antibiotics like Amoxicillin and metronidazole, anti inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen can be advised..
Also apply Metronidazole gel over the gum and massage..
Do warm saline gargles..

Please upload the x ray and a picture of the area of the crowned teeth for further information..

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng