Suggest remedies for toe nail infection

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I had met with and accident and there was a hair line fracture on my right toe. Doctors advised me to put a gauge between both the toe and tape it for a month. After one and half month I did an x-ray again wherein Dr. confirmed that it has healed. However after another 15 days the toe was swolen and when I took a second opinion Sparsh Hospital-Bangalore confirmed that there has been an infection inside and surgery has to be done to take out the puss by removing the nail. Now almost 1 and half month have passed but the nail is still to grow. There is also a little inflamation. What do you suggest
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
treat for inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query.

It will take some time for the nail to grow. But if the inflammation still persists then you'll have to get it examined and treated. Cause if still the infection is there then nail growth will be delayed for long time. If the infection is superficial then you can apply T BACT ointment for few days.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng 5 minutes later
I went to the same hospital and DR. after checking said the infection is not there any more and prescribed antibiotioc for 5 days. But I am worried about the little inflamation and nail not coming up.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do daily dressing with T BACT.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up,

If the infection is not there then apply T BACT twice or thrice daily and cover with gauze for some time. Do it for 5 days you will notice the reduction in inflammation.

I suggest you to take biotin supplements for better nail growth.