Suggest remedies for throat infection

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I got a throat infection on Saturday and swallowing became pInful. By Minday, my whole neck became stiff. A doctor prescribed Augmentin, Mylogin and Airtal. Afte injecting me with Voltaren 3cc. My neck is killing me. I can't sleep. My throat is getting better albeit slowly. Help
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You'd better check with the doctor if there's no improvement

Detailed Answer:

pharyngitis is a common infection which usually resolves on its own but antibiotics may reduce the time required for full recovery and prevent complications. Augmentin is a broad spectrum antibiotic which is more than sufficient for most cases of pharyngitis. The rest of the drugs were given to make you feel more comfortable with the pain.

The only concerning thing about pharyngitis is its complications which are rare. Abscess formation and local spread of the infection are some of the most common ones. Signs of abscess formation include an asymmetric swelling of the pharynx (like the one tonsil is small and the other huge and protruding), drooling, hoarse voice, etc.

If you feel you're getting better then you're probably far for complications. But if your symptoms do not seem to get better or if they seem to get worse then repeat clinical examination by your doctor is urgently required.

Since you've taken many kinds of drugs for your relief I suggest you don't take more. Just continue with paracetamol and perhaps also a NSAID like airtal. If things go as expected you should be much better at day 4 or 5. The fever is a good indication of your progress.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 11 minutes later
Thank you. I don't have a fever though. Just a very stiff neck which makes sleeping next to impossible. I am writing this at 345 a.m. The pls side is that the throat pain is s siding and swallowing is less painful than before, when I would literally shudder. My throat still hurts a little. Should I consider physiotherapy ?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
perhaps...

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

Physiotherapy may help with cervical spine or muscular issues. If you do have a history of such problems then it may help you.

If the pain started with pharyngitis then it has to be related to it. Painful and swollen lymph nodes? I don't know. Clinical examination is very important in this regard.

Just in case: If you have stiff neck AND serious headache (constant and severe) then meningitis can be suspected and you should visit the ER right away!

My best wishes for a speedy recovery!