Suggest remedies for swollen right foot in an elderly woman

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi ,
I noticed that my mother is having a swollen right foot and the problem is she will never go to Doctor whatever we tell her. She is 60 years old. I Have also noticed that when she is sitting for a long time or wakes up early in the morning, her gait seems like she has trouble walking with right foot but after a while when she walks a little it seems ok. Also she walks a lot from one corner to another corner of the room and keeps walking whole day. I am not sure why she is so restless. I have managed to take photograph of her feet. As you can see right foot is swollen as compared to the left foot.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be soft tissue injuries

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think that your mother must have twisted her foot.It can cause swelling and difficulty in walking.Also I can see there is shininess and skin lesion over feet.There can be possibility that she may have skin lesion at feet. So i have following suggestions for you.
1.Hot water fomentation
2.Tablet Etoricoxib 90 mg one daily.
3.Brugel local application.
4.Batnovat gel local application.
I hope this answer will be useful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 21 minutes later
The swelling has been there since almost a year and as I mentioned before , when she wakes up , her gait is like that of a crippled person and after walking a bit it works. I have NOT seen her reporting of any pain etc.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
An x ray can help us in confirming diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
if duration is more then one year then there is chances of lymphedema. It is due to collection of fluid in one part due to blockage of drainage.An x ray can confirm the diagnosis. As you have mentioned that your mother is not willing to show it to doctor then at least you can get an X-ray.
Because of swelling her joint is getting stiff. So when she remains in one position her foot take some time in walking. Hot water fomentation will be helpful for her. It will increase blood flow.
thanks