Suggest remedies for swollen lymphnodes in the neck and armpit

Posted on Mon, 19 Dec 2016 in Lump
Question: swollen lymphnodes in left side neck and arm pit. 99 fever. flank pain. neg uti and culture. 10.8 wbc. nausea and vomiting. no food for 3 days. hardly drinking.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
C reactive protein, possible infection, see doctor for thorough evauation

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Swollen lymph nodes and fever is suggestive of an infection. However, the white blood cell count you report is more suggestive of a viral infection. This could also be bacterial though. A blood culture could be useful, as well as a C reactive protein measurement, to see if we could get some antibiotics prescribed.

Negative urine culture is reassuring that it s not an urinary tract infection. However, nausea and vomiting and loss of appetite is suggestive of the fact you need keener medical attention.

I suggest a C reactive protein measurement to be sure if you need antibiotics to be prescribed or not, and a lymph node biopsy for examination, based on the findings of your doctor and your evolution on treatment.

Rarer conditions like lymphomas , abscesses and at times urinary tuberculosis, generally present with absent or negative urinary exam findings should be kept in mind.

No worries for now, but I think you need a clinical exam by your doctor.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain