• question-icon

Suggest remedies for swollen lymph nodes in the neck

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Lump
Question: The lymph nodes in my neck swelled up when I had a bad cold and sore throat 6 weeks ago and they are still swollen but my other symptoms are gone. Should I be concerned?
I feel fine except for the swelling
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if less than 1cm with decreasing size, XXXXXXX then monitor

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are lymph nodes in different aspects of the body but the main possible palpable ones are those of the neck, arm, axilla, groin, popiteal region(back of the knee), though they are others.

They respond to infection/inflammation in a particular area.

With a history of recent infection, there is not likely to any concern but when we assess a lymph node we look at different areas: (1)SIZE: as a general rule, lymph nodes 1 cm or less are not likely significant.

On the other hand, a lymph node greater than 2 cm, that has persisted for more than 4 weeks , needs assessment.

(2) MOBILITY- in most cases where the lymph node is due to an infection, it is XXXXXXX this means that if you feel the node, you should be able to move it slightly in different directions

On the other hand, lymph nodes due to cancer are usually fixed in position

(3)LOCATION- lymph nodes in the neck are commonly due to infection though there are other causes.

ON the other hand, lymph nodes in the supraclavicular region (just above the clavicle) are said to be due to cancer unless proven otherwise

If your lymph nodes are less than 1 cm, XXXXXXX and decreasing in size,then there are likely related to your recent infection and you can monitor.

If they are large or no change in size or you are not sure if there has been a change in size, then you should consider an assessment.
This would include physical examination and blood tests such as complete blood count to take a look at the white cell count.

In some cases additional tests and imaging (ultrasound of the nodes), may also be needed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James