Suggest remedies for swollen glands in the throat after an episode of acute diarrhea

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: wondering if its normal to have my immune system this much under attack. two weeks ago I was achy for the day three days later had diarrhea and today swollen glands and throat. Been a little tired as well. I'm usually a very active person that seldom gets sick. Ive been taking a probiotic for the last 6 days to see if that helps. what remedies would you recommend?

still waiting for my answer and I already paid my $15
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, currently swollen glands can be due to throat or inflamed tonsils or lymphnodes and may or may not be related to last episode of diarrhea.

To start with routine blood work up like complete blood counts and ESR or CRP can be done to look for extent of infection and then to be tracked down to see treatment response.

Meanwhile OTC analgesics or anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or acetaminophen can be started for symptomatic relief. For infection control you will need antibiotics like azithromycin or coamoxiclav. Anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine can help with other symptoms relating to throat. Using saline water gargles may help.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad