• question-icon

Suggest remedies for swollen and painful toe post an injury

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Stubbed my big toe about 2 weeks ago now and have since been unable to move it AT ALL. It is numb and tingly to the touch and depending on how I apply pressure when walking, my entire foot is overcome with shooting pain and an overall feeling of discomfort. Come night time, my entire foot is numb and tingling as well as burning. The toe itself is swollen, however never bruised more than a huge red mark across the center of the swelling.
Went to the ER for an x-ray and they said they saw no sign of fractures and sent me on my way with nothing in regards to what could be wrong or how to help it heal.
What could be wrong and where should I go from here?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be Causalgia. Needs limb elevation, ice, medication

Detailed Answer:
Hey there.

It could be Causalgia or sympathetic nervous system overactivity.

You must apply ice, keep the limb elevated, avoid weight bearing on that region. Take Vitamin C supplements and eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Keep well hydrated.

You can take Antibiotic if you have fever. Take Anti inflammatory like Tablet Diclofenac 75mg twice a day for 5 days after meals and Tablet Ranitidine 150mg twice a day for 5 days before meals.

Do get tested for Diabetes as these symptoms are common in Diabetes.

This should subside in 7 to 10 days.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon