Suggest remedies for swelling in left side jaw near the ear

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Lump
Question: My son have swelling in the left side of his jaw near the ear drum. He think it's from a tooth ache. I there anything he can take to bring the swelling down. He is putting an ice-pack to the area. He is a Vet. With no dental insurance. Help him please.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may consider an anti inflammatory med

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Swelling is part of the body's response to any inflammation/infection/trauma.

Reducing the inflammation would reduce the swelling.

Using anti inflammatory medications such as cataflam, naproxen, ibuprofen. These medications are not only used for pain but to reduce inflammation as well.

He should continue using the ice pack and the antibiotics along with one of these meds.

Unfortunately may still need to see a dentist if there is no improvement or there is an infection present in one of the teeth/gums.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions