Suggest remedies for swelling behind the right ear

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 31 Jan 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my son is 5 and half months old 8 days back he got a swollen area below his right ear and when touched it was hard we took him to the doctor and doctor said it was mumps and have an antibiotic ampoxin , paracetamol and multivitamin on the 6th day his swelling got reduced by 70% but again on 7th day evening the same area hit swollen with red patch so we should another doctor and he said it is not mumps but pus formation and he gave another antibiotic named lezomed and paracetamol.
I am really confused now on whom to trust. As everyone around says mumps doesn't occur in such small age and no one around him ever had mump.
Please help. I would also like to share his pic of it helps to diagnose.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mumps is indeed a possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health Care Magic. I have gone very carefully through your query and understand your concerns.

Mumps is a viral infection that is not supposed to respond to antibiotics. So, the treatment of the first doctor was paradoxical. Mumps can occur at this age. The next doctor diagnosed it as pus formation. If that is the case, the pus would possibly need to be drained and merely giving antibiotics would not necessarily help. So, I am not sure that you are getting proper guidance.

You can upload the image using the facility on the upper right of this page. Alternatively you can email the pictures to YYYY@YYYY by keeping the Subject as ATTN:Dr Diptanshu Das and i'll receive it.

I would try to guide you once I check the image. I will wait for it.

Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
.
Brief Answer:
Could be mumps

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have checked the attached images. It is evidently due to parotitis. Parotitis is an inflammation of one or both parotid glands, the major salivary glands located on either side of the face. The parotid gland is the salivary gland most commonly affected by inflammation. Mumps is a common cause while bacterial cause is rare.

You may go through:
http://yyyyyyye.myyyyyye.com/article/882461-treatment

I would insist you to wait and watch unless the child has major problems.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Parotitis

Detailed Answer:
I have checked the attached images and it seems to be nothing but parotitis. Mumps is one of the possible causes for parotitis.