• question-icon

Suggest remedies for swelling and black discolouration in right leg post an injury

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: The car door slammed my right leg due to a very stong wind. I am on eloiquist 5 mg twice a day.I am also a congestive heart patient and get swelling in the rigt leg as well. The area around the impact is red and feels warm there is also black discoloration around the lower bilateral edges of the foot.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hematoma can be present.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The main problem with leg injury is that it might be something superficial (soft tissues injury) and not very serious or deeper and serious (bones fracture, deep veins thrombosis).
Unfortunately, the symptoms of all this issues are almost the same and without specific tests, its impossible to rule them out.
Redness and warmness is a classic sign of inflammation. It can be caused by soft tissues injury (in most cases it is), however veins inflammation (and thrombosis), hematoma can be also the reason of very same symptoms. As you are on Eloiquist, hematoma is very probable, veins thrombosis is less probable.

That is why, it would be good to have it checked by a surgeon. Soft tissues ultrasound and x-ray are good enough to tell if its serious or not.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 34 minutes later
how do you treat a hematoma(Thank you for your response)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hematoma should be drained.

Detailed Answer:
Usually we drain hematoma. Otherwise it can get infected and become an abscess.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
for my last follow question and again tx for you rapid response to my first question.how is the hematoma drained
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Incision can be used to drain hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
Fresh hematoma (liquid) can be drained with a needle. Large and coagulated hematoma can be drained with an incision.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon