Suggest remedies for sunburn
A few weeks ago I managed to accidentally get sunburn on consecutive days on my face and chest despite it being a fairly overcast and cold weekend. The burn was fairly red, swollen and tender but was not bright red and there has been no peeling or blistering, however, there has been slight stinging for several weeks since and the redness won't go away and is especially noticeable after exercise / showering etc. Is this normal as I would have thought that if burn was really bad it would blister / peel off and heal? Would you recommend any other treatment than time and sunscreen to heal at this time?
Welcome to HCM...
I can understand your concern for remedy for sunburn. As you described, I agree with your presumption of having sunburn.
Sunburn is skin damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) rays. It usually causes the skin to become red, sore, warm, tender and occasionally itchy for about a week.
You can usually treat mild sunburn at home, although there are some circumstances where you should consult the dermatologist.
I would suggest...
- cold compresses on the affected areas may help.
- plenty of fluids should be taken to prevent dehydration.
- apply a water-based emollient or petroleum jelly like Vaseline to keep your skin cool and moist.
- take analgesic like Tab PARACETAMOL 650mg twice daily after food for 3 days..
- avoid exposure to sun rays...
Redness after exercise or exposure to sun rays is normal in your case. That would create uneasiness,so avoid exposure to sun and also do not exercise.
It is good that severity is not there..like blistering in affected areas. So, do not worry you may be alright in few days to few weeks. You do not require further treatment,as you do not have seriousness.
But, please continue to apply sunscreen gel on exposed areas to prevent the relapse of sun burn even after you feel better.
I hope this would help you. If you have query more, kindly ask.
Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Please may I just also enquire as to whether this could also have flared up rosacea as I have mild rosacea with slight redness / pimples prior to this and I believe that rosacea can also cause stinging and redness so could the ongoing redness present also potentially be rosacea flaring up?
You are right. If you suffer from rosacea,it may be relapse or flare up of rosacea. Sun exposure is one of the factors to cause flare up of rosacea. If you feel so, you may take treatment for rosacea,which you have taken in past. Otherwise follow the suggestions as I gave in previous post.
Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suffering from sunburn lips turning white head stinging suggestions
- Suggest treatment or medication for dark sunburn on face
- What are the home remedies to treat tan and sunburn
- Please suggest treatment for sunburn
- Leaking sunburn
- What is the remedy for sunburns
- Suggest treatment for food poisioning along with sunburn
- Coffee a remedy for sunburn
- Remedy for swollen sunburn lips
- Home remedies for sunburn itch relief