Suggest remedies for sores on the scalp
The pattern is repeatable; a small area near a follicle gets red and puffy gradually expanding to the area around it. My hair was breaking (consistent w ringworm) but ive taken to shaving sore spots in an effort to contain them (it sort of works).
Any idea what is going on? Will include early and recent photos. I have dozens so hope this is a representative sample.
Scalp folliculitis most probably
Welcome to HCM...
I read history and saw the photos you posted. After that I thought that most probably you may be having the skin disease called scalp folliculitis. You have itchy,painful,sore and crusted lesions on the scalp...which suggest scalp folliculitis. It does not seem to be tinea capitis,as not responded to oral antifungal you took.
Scalp folliculitis is an inflammatory disorder of the hair follicles in the scalp. The condition is also known as "acne necrotica miliaris" or "Proprionibacterium folliculitis".Scalp folliculitis is characterised by small, very itchy pustules on the scalp.. And they often become sore and crusted.
The exact cause of scalp folliculitis is not known.It may be an inflammatory reaction to components of the hair follicle, particularly the micro-organisms...like
Bacteria (Propionibacterium acne or Staphylococcus aureus),Yeasts (Malassezia species),Mites (Demodex folliculorum)
I would suggest...
- shampoo with antiseptic like savlone or Antidandruff like ketoconazole shampoo
- application of antibiotics like fusidic acid gel, clindamycin solution, erythromycin solution
- application of topical steroid lotions like mometasone
- antihistaminics like levocetirizine till itch is relieved
- antibiotics like tetracycline,doxycycline or minocycline for long time
- tab isotretinoin 5 mg daily
- tab vitamin C 1000 mg daily
- tab zinc sulfate 200 mg daily
- avoid stress and anxiety
- have positive attitude and patience
You consult the dermatologist and have proper treatment as suggested above.
I hope this would give proper guidance in managing you scalp condition.
Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Remedies for dry itchy scalp
- Remedies for itchy scalp
- Flaky scalp remedies
- Granules on scalp ayurveda remedies
- Arvedic medicine remedies for sore scalp
- Very dry scalp remedies
- Remedies for scalp psoriasis
- Suggest remedy to cure itching and dryness of scalp
- Drs remedy sore scalp with cirle burn
- Painful scalp flakes on scalp suggest oil