Suggest remedies for sore throat in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: I have a 4 years old son and he has what looks like striped throat with some redness, a little fever and he is coughing a lot and with those dry coughs he is throws up and he has to be force fed because of loss of appetite. Please can you tell me What's going on?

By the way my son is in Dakar, Senegal, West XXXXXXX and this has happened to him less than a month ago and his doctor prescribed the same antibiotics treatment.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on sore throat and antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi...by what you quote i feel that your kid might be having a viral sore throat or a streptococcal infection.

I suggest you see your pediatrician and get a rapid streptococcal antigen test done. If it is positive then she will require antibiotics. if it is negative then it might be viral illness and doesn't require antibiotics at all.

If Rapid antigen testing is not available in your place I'd suggest that you get a throat swab culture done.

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children.

For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do. Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (max ceiling dose 500mg) every 4-6th hourly, that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth