• question-icon

Suggest remedies for snoring

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: whether there is any remedy for snojing. I am making lot of noise while sleeping, disturbing others. whether this is also harmfull to health?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....snoring ( also called as obstructive sleep apnoea, ( OSA ) ) can be managed
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Occasional snoring is normal and doesn't cause problem but heavy snoring is definitely a big problem and is detrimental to your health. It results in disturbed sleep which results in daytime fatigue and sleepiness and also puts strain on your heart whereby chances of heart attack and stroke increases. It also results in weight gain and development of diabetes.
Remedy lies is identifying the cause like deviated nasal septum or enlarged tonsils or adenoids and various other causes and getting them treated.
General  remedial measures are...
Reducing weight,quitting smoking and alcohol,regular exercises,avoiding caffeine and heavy meals within two hours of night sleep,sleeping on your side and keeping the nasal passage open by putting saline nasal drops etc.
If these measures fail then CPAP ( continuous positive air pressure ) can be used where continuous stream of air is supplied by a machine while sleeping.
I would advise you to consult a sleep doctor who will examine and evaluate your symptoms and help you find an effective and ideal treatment.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta