Suggest remedies for small red pimples on cheeks caused after exposure to phototherapy
My son had developed jaundice after birth and had to be treated with phototherapy to control jaundice. but on discharge his left cheek had many small red pimples. doctor told us that these will vanish after few days and is side effect of phototherapy. finally these pimples healed in about 2 weeks but started developing on right cheek and now even on cheek. its been arround 15 days that he was exposed to phototherapy. we are worried on why these pimples are developing now and are these painful. i am attaching some images for your reference
birth date 24 feb 16
discharged after phototherapy 29th feb
I understand your concerns but don't worry. I have gone through your question and attached images. The lesions are known as neonatal acne. This is not due to phototherapy. It occurs due to placental transfer of maternal androgens, hyperactive neonatal adrenal glands and a hypersensitive neonatal end organ response to androgens. It normally occurs in 20% of babies and usually improves completely without any treatment.
You may use benzoyl peroxide or tretinoin for local application if they do not improve in few weeks or worsen.
Hopefully it will be of help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Newborn developed jaundice just after birth started phototherapy any complication
- How does phototherapy cause diarrhea
- Artificial phototherapy
- Taxim during phototherapy
- Harm from phototherapy to genitals
- Phototherapy diarrhea
- Phototherapy for children
- Light phototherapy white patches
- Who invented phototherapy
- Does phototherapy to new borns cause darkening of skin
- Under what conditions should breastfeeding be restricted to infant?
- What causes absence seizures after adenoid and tonsil removal?
- Suggest treatment for sleep movement disorder
- Is HSV infection as dangerous as HIV infection?
- Suggest treatment for persistent fever and frequent urination
- Can Lanzol be given along with milk to a 3 year old?
- What causes fever after vaccination in child?
- What causes swellings on back of head in a toddler?
- Is it safe to give Spark energy drink to children?
- Is burning sensation in throat after eating hot food a cause for concern?