question-icon

Suggest remedies for small red pimples on cheeks caused after exposure to phototherapy

Posted on Sat, 21 May 2016
Question: Hi

My son had developed jaundice after birth and had to be treated with phototherapy to control jaundice. but on discharge his left cheek had many small red pimples. doctor told us that these will vanish after few days and is side effect of phototherapy. finally these pimples healed in about 2 weeks but started developing on right cheek and now even on cheek. its been arround 15 days that he was exposed to phototherapy. we are worried on why these pimples are developing now and are these painful. i am attaching some images for your reference

birth date 24 feb 16
discharged after phototherapy 29th feb
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma (13 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Neonatal acne

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns but don't worry. I have gone through your question and attached images. The lesions are known as neonatal acne. This is not due to phototherapy. It occurs due to placental transfer of maternal androgens, hyperactive neonatal adrenal glands and a hypersensitive neonatal end organ response to androgens. It normally occurs in 20% of babies and usually improves completely without any treatment.

You may use benzoyl peroxide or tretinoin for local application if they do not improve in few weeks or worsen.

Hopefully it will be of help.
Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician