Suggest remedies for shingles

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 17 Feb 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: The skin problems with photos
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
allergic reaction vrs shingles

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Swelling can occur in any rash, trauma, infection or any form of inflammation (essentially irritation) of the body.
It is part of the body's response to inflammation in the particular area and is related to the release of certain chemicals.

Most itching rashes are due to either an allergic skin reaction, fungal infection or can also occur in shingles.
Fungal infections however would normally have a circular lesion with scaly areas, according to the pictures , this is not the case.

This would leave an allergic skin reaction and shingles. Shingles would occur in anyone with a previous history of chicken pox. It can be associated with the burning discomfort mentioned as well as the itching.

If there is no history of contact with a plant, animal or sting, cream/lotion or other chemical that would cause an allergic reaction, then shingles is the likely cause.

Treatment of an allergic reaction would involve oral antihistamines (benadryl, claritine, zyrtec, allegra) along with a topical steroid such as hydrocortisone which are both over the counter.

Shingles can be treated with the oral antihistamine mentioned (decreases the itching) and a pain killer (this would decrease the burning).
An anti inflammatory pain killer such as ibuprofen, naproxen, voltaren, cataflam can be used if you can use these medications.

Also over the counter.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 minutes later
Shes seen doc & its starting to go all over her body & at the back of her neck its going scarly as well
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
if spreading then shingles very unlikely then

Detailed Answer:
HI

If it is spreading then it is not likely shingles because this tends to occur in one area of the body.

This means that it may be reaction.

The oral anti histamine can be used and if the burning is still a problem, the anti inflammatory medication that was mentioned can be added.

The other rash that can spread in this manner would be due to a viral infection meaning due to an infection itself (chicken pox) or as a skin reaction that can occur with viral infection (even the flu--- this is called viral exanthem ---skin rash that occurs with some viruses)

In persist cases, liver or kidney or thyroid disease can cause generalized rash but these are not as common as the other causes mentioned and are usually considered last

Please feel free to ask anything else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
The bumps are joined together. Here are some more photos on her neck this might help you abit more. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
more of a reaction since spreading so quickly

Detailed Answer:
HI

Its unfortunate that is spreading to involve so many areas, this would be increase her discomfort since it now so wide spread.

Since she does not have any symptoms of a viral infection and the symptoms started so acutely, then reaction is the most likely cause

She can use the anti histamine, anti inflammatory combination.

If there is no relief then a steroid cream such as hydrocortiosone or an oral steroid may be needed.
The oral steroid would be a last resort

IF anything else unclear, can let me know