Suggest remedies for sharp pain in lower left-sided abdomen and bloating

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi. I'm currently suffering from sharp stabbing pains in the lower left of my stomach. From previous experience I feel this is another cyst. I can barely walk, I'm not eating much and I have very bad bloating. What is the best course of action?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ovarian cyst?

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms XXXXXXX

When you say that if feels like another cyst, do you mean you have had ovarian cysts in the past?

Are you having any gastrointestinal symptoms?

The best thing to do is to go in to see a doctor who can do a physical exam. This should include an exam of your abdomen which can help determine if and what part of the gastrointestinal tract may be involved (if it is). The doctor should also do a bimanual pelvic exam to be able to see if the pain is coming from the left ovary.

Depending on what this shows, an ultrasound would be in order. A transvaginal ultrasound can show an ovarian cyst and the size of it. It can also show if the ovary is twisted.

Depending on how much pain you are in and how long this has been going on (the latter is not a factor if the pain is severe), you can either go in to emergency (if the pain is severe and unremitting) or wait to see your doctor if you can get in to see her/him soon.

The most common cause of ovarian pain is from a "functional cyst" that is left over from a recent ovulation. These usually resolve on their own with time.

So that is what I'd suggest right now. I hope you feel better soon. Please let me know if I can provide further information.