Suggest remedies for severe sore throat and cough

Excellent

Question
I might be coming down with this 3 week crud everyone seems to be getting, starting with sore throat, persistent cough, ending in bronchitis. Anything I can do now to lessen symptoms?
Wed, 30 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take steam inhalation and some antiallergic.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment, the viral infections are self limiting and usually resolve in a week or so. Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component and it is advisable to take some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days.

You need to take steam inhalation. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Gurgling with lukewarm water should help you to alleviate the sore throat.

If you have a temperature more than 100°F, you need to take paracetamol or acetaminophen (Crocin or Tylenol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the recovery to occur. It should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Follow-up: Suggest remedies for severe sore throat and cough 13 hours later
Is Citirizine a prescription or OTC?

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OTC

Detailed Answer:
Cetirizine is an OTC medicine.