Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest remedies for severe pain in the ribs

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 12443 Questions

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having severe pain in my rt. rib side under the breast area radiating to my back it intensify s with deep breaths and any movement the only releif is to lie down on my rt. side with shallow breaths.
I have had my gall bladder out but feels similar to gall bladder attack. Feeling nauseous but no fever. It also hurts to wear my bra.
Do you have any idea as to what it might be?
Thankyou Carole gallagher
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Costochondritis or fractured rib/s as the most common cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
Noted your history and understood the concerns.
To recapitulate: Female/71 - severe pain in right rib side - under breast - radiating to back - intensifies with deep breaths and any movements - relieved by lying on right side with shallow breaths - nausea - no fever - hurts to wear bra - taking Rabeprazole for acid reflux and Oxycodone for chronic back pain - like GB attack - but is out - wants to know ...
This history is most suggestive of the following:
Fractured rib/s may be due to sudden movement or sneezing or a bout of coughing.
Nerve root compression at the back as you already have the history of back pain for which you are taking treatment.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Get a clinical evaluation by your Doctor or at ER.
X-ray for the ribs and lungs.
This will give preliminary diagnosis.
To go for further investigations as guided and to get an appropriate management.
Strapping the affected area helps by limiting the the movement of the ribs.
Continue Ramaperazole/ Rabeprazole.
Take antacid and request for Domperidone if the acid reflux still bothers you.
Take Oxycodone as required to remain as pain-free as possible.
plenty of oral fluids to remain well hydrated.
Ibuprofen if suits you and does not cause gastritis.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to give feedback, ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
With Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Dr. Chanderkant
Thankyou for your reply I have osteoporosis and have fractured bones easily before I also have been sneezing a lot due to allergies so will follow up with xrays as you suggested.
Thankyou for your prompt answers and diagnosis.
would use this app again.
Thanks again
Carole Gallagher
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
Shall be happy to assist you the best.
Please use a corset or strap the area when you have breathed out completely to have better control over pain.
Take care.
With Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 13 hours later
I am able to see my doctor tomorrow. I will then follow up with xrays.
Thankyou again for your advice and support I appreciate all you have
Thankyou kindly
Carole Gallagher
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Awaiting for follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Severe pain

doctor1 MD

Hi, My husband has pus filled pimples in the backside of his head. He has very oily hair. We have observed that they come up whenever he has sweets or his hair becomes very oily. They usually come and go very frequently. It has been like this for...

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I have a severe pain in my right arm, actually in the muscle, upper arm... also started as a long standing fibromyalgia pain for years in shoulder ... this is different and far more painful... it is like the muscle, nerves, etc. are all affected....

doctor1 MD

If I might have had a heart attack 4 nights ago, should I go to emergency now? I have an appointment to see my doctor in 3 weeks. I'm 52 yr old woman, no family heart history, fit, excellent health (blood pressure, cholesterol excellent) but woke wed night with severe crushing pain started centre of chest then felt under my breasts for about 30-45 minutes whether i laid down, stood up walked around it was like a tight rubber band. Is it too late to get checked out asap? 52yrs old female..5'5", 130pounds, healthy.

doctor1 MD

Hello, my dr. Is out of of office for next week. Medical imaging called me to tell me that they picked up a 22 mm cyst on my left ovary . And a small umbilical hernia . I ma having having extreme pain on my left lower side and I just started a period again after just having one less then 2 weeks ago. My pain level is becoming pretty unbearable. Should I go to ER?

doctor1 MD

I HAD A THALAMUS STROKE IN SEPTEMBER. IT HAS LEFT ME WITH NEUROPATHY ON MY LEFT SIDE FROM MY SCALP TO THE BOTTOM OF MY FOOT, HAND BEING THE WORST. Since October I have been experiencing tremors in my left leg and foot and now on my right side. I was hospitalized in October and November for this and they can't find out why this happens. Is this part of my stroke and something like nuculi were affected. Will this go away?

doctor1 MD

Hello, my name is Michael Boswell. I am a 22 year old part-time student living with my mother. I am writing because I have been to one gastroenterologist before, and they couldn t quite seem to find the answers I m looking for. At the age of 16, I started taking a weight lifting supplement ( creatine pill form) and the day I took 4 of them like what was told on the back of the bottle, I could already tell I wasn t able to hold in my urine, I couldn t even sit down for my football meeting because I had to go to the bathroom to urinate. I then struggled for 2 years through the remainder of High School with severe chronic pain , I went and saw my family doctor who then told me to go see a specialist, and I had two colonscopies and endoscopy done. The gastroenterologist agreed there was something causing my irritation, but couldn t figure out what it was. I had blood work done, and everything came back for Crohns Disease , and they then labeled me with IBS. I m asking for help because I m at a dead end, I still suffer EVERY day with some sort of symptom, whether it be irritation and pain in my stomach, or when I feel a Bowel Movement coming on the urgency that I have because I know I will not be able to hold it in...the medication they had given me worked, but with other symptoms arising. I was prescribed Hyosyamine ER 0.375 MG, and Paroxetine HCL 20 MG. I took them as told on the bottle, and I would RARELY have a BM through the week, but instead I would have one full day (Saturday) of me having to sit on the toilet. I have read that there are no cures, which is very discouraging, this disease or whatever you want to call it, has taken the happiness and normality out of my life, and has replaced it with anger and no hope. I am hoping there is someone that can please help me...