Suggest remedies for severe pain in the ribs

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having severe pain in my rt. rib side under the breast area radiating to my back it intensify s with deep breaths and any movement the only releif is to lie down on my rt. side with shallow breaths.
I have had my gall bladder out but feels similar to gall bladder attack. Feeling nauseous but no fever. It also hurts to wear my bra.
Do you have any idea as to what it might be?
Thankyou Carole gallagher
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Costochondritis or fractured rib/s as the most common cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted your history and understood the concerns.
To recapitulate: Female/71 - severe pain in right rib side - under breast - radiating to back - intensifies with deep breaths and any movements - relieved by lying on right side with shallow breaths - nausea - no fever - hurts to wear bra - taking Rabeprazole for acid reflux and Oxycodone for chronic back pain - like GB attack - but is out - wants to know ...
This history is most suggestive of the following:
Costochondritis
Fractured rib/s may be due to sudden movement or sneezing or a bout of coughing.
Nerve root compression at the back as you already have the history of back pain for which you are taking treatment.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Get a clinical evaluation by your Doctor or at ER.
X-ray for the ribs and lungs.
This will give preliminary diagnosis.
To go for further investigations as guided and to get an appropriate management.
Strapping the affected area helps by limiting the the movement of the ribs.
Continue Ramaperazole/ Rabeprazole.
Take antacid and request for Domperidone if the acid reflux still bothers you.
Take Oxycodone as required to remain as pain-free as possible.
plenty of oral fluids to remain well hydrated.
Ibuprofen if suits you and does not cause gastritis.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to give feedback, ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
With Regards.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Dr. Chanderkant
Thankyou for your reply I have osteoporosis and have fractured bones easily before I also have been sneezing a lot due to allergies so will follow up with xrays as you suggested.
Thankyou for your prompt answers and diagnosis.
would use this app again.
Thanks again
Carole Gallagher
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
Shall be happy to assist you the best.
Please use a corset or strap the area when you have breathed out completely to have better control over pain.
With Regards.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 13 hours later
I am able to see my doctor tomorrow. I will then follow up with xrays.
Thankyou again for your advice and support I appreciate all you have
suggested.
Thankyou kindly
Carole Gallagher
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Awaiting for follow up.