• question-icon

Suggest remedies for severe neck and back pain

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I sometimes (especially during the busy working periods) face severe nack and back pain. The pain in upper back always occcurs on the side where Heart is (left). This happening after every few months now and creating lots of problems for me. I went to Ortho specialists earlier and have gone through physio therapy twice in last 2 years. Doctor told me that I have two problems, one cervical and other in my elbow due to some nerve problem because of wrong lifting of weights in past. On the basis of above information, please suggest a cure. I am waiting for any follow up questiins that I can answer to understand the problem.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
You have cervical spondylosis and tendonitis in the elbow. The herniated discs in neck compresses spinal nerves or spinal cord. Symptoms are experienced along the area of distribution/path of that particular nerve.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist. This is the only thing that will help in decreasing the further progression of the problem.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow/ watching TV or working on computer.
Avoid prolonged sitting / leaning forward/ driving for long distances.

A course of Muscle relaxants, interferential therapy (IFT) and/or Intermittent Cervical Traction (ICT) for a week followed by exercises will help you.

If you don’t get better with these treatment , then you might need surgery, by which the nerves are decompressed by removing the protruded disc (discectomy), which would significantly improve your symptoms.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon