Suggest remedies for severe itching on the neck, arms and legs

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have been itching neck, torso, arms, legs face for 4 days now taking benadryl 50mg every 6 hrs. Im exhausted and frustrated
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Age related dry skin or xerosis first cause

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the question.

We call this generalized itching or pruritis. Do you have yellowish discoloration of eye, tongue or skin? Do you have any other medical problems? What medicines do you take in a day for any other problems?
The first reason for all over the body itching at this age is xerosis. This is extremely common to have dry skin at this age as the body skin would lose the natural moisturizing ability as the oil glands get dried up.
The other reasons are Iron deficiency, and other nutritional reasons.

At this point I suggest you to use good amount of moisturizer immediately out of shower. Use cold water for shower. A moisturizing soap for shower as well.
See a physician for a prescription of Hydroxyzine tablet up to 10mg. This will help better than Benadryl.

Hope this is clear.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy