• question-icon

Suggest remedies for severe headache and nose congestion

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi. My girlfriend has been having a terrible headache for 2 days. She tried ibuporofen, aulin and nothing worked. She also has a bit of a congested nose. What else should we try? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

In terms of pain killers the ones she has taken (Ibuprofen) are appropriate. Further additional drugs depend on the suspected cause. Judging from your description of the congested nose a diagnosis of sinusitis may be suspected. It is mor likely if the headache is located anteriorly, with pain on pressure on forehead above eyebrow or on the cheeks. However the diagnosis needs to be confirmed by exam of nasal cavity by primary physician or ENT specialist. If confirmed nasal decongestants like pseudoephedrine or local oxymetazoline are added and possibly a course of antibiotics may be necessary if not improving. Warm compresses and vapor therapy are helpful as well.

If no signs of sinusitis though on exam and no prior history of headache issues such as migraine, then in front of a headache resistant to pain killers a careful neurological exam and possibly brain imaging is necessary for the possibility of more serious causes such as stroke, tumor, infection. These conditions usually have other signs though (vomiting, weakness of the limbs on one side, balance and coordination issues, confusion etc) so do not want you to overworry, suggesting it to be safe.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist