• question-icon

Suggest remedies for severe hair loss

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a 20 year old son. He is very "healthy" according to 3 neurologist and a family doctor and some other doctor we have seen But he's NOT. He is losing his hair at a rapid pace. But his biggest problem is he goes numb. He can't feel his hands or legs sometimes, he describes it as not being there. When you look at him you can tell he's not healthy looking at his eyes and hair. We tried to get him to Mayo clinic but after seeing his medical records they said no do to the fact they all came back normal. Let me know
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More info on tests needed.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern about your son.

It would have been useful if you could have provided some more information on the tests he's had and their results, if you could upload some report from the neurologist consult might be useful. Otherwise I do not have much to go with here.

Regarding the numbness, I am assuming that the neurologists have examined him and physical exam was normal. Perhaps he's had some normal imaging exam and some blood tests as well. If that is indeed the case and issues such as multiple sclerosis, hormonal issues have been excluded then I would say that such generalized numbness is most probably due to anxiety, it commonly manifests that way. In that case psychotherapy would be more indicated if all has resulted normal.

As for the hair loss, again some info about the pattern, whether there is loss in certain areas or generalized, hormonal tests he's had etc might be useful. Might be simply genetically determined male pattern baldness, but hormonal issues must have been considered as well.

I remain at your disposal for other questions, but probably providing some more information.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist