Suggest remedies for severe hair fall while on Synthroid

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello Doc,
I have hypothyroidism and taking synthroid since 2008. Current dose is 100mgc and for last years the levels r stable. I know dry skin and hair fall are the side effects,, but recently I am loosing way too much hair and skin is so scaly and have rashes and being suffering from lots of recurring infections in last 2 years . sinus , food infection , urinary infections. showed to docs and had lots of antibiotics . while searching online, I have found this link talking about Zinc deficiency , which comes with hypothyroidism.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC0000/
why none of the doctor recommended to have zinc supplement? should I take Zincovit? what should be the doses n how long?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Zinc deficiency is indeed overlooked.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. I appreciate your research and indeed you have arrived at proper, validated and credible scientific literature. As the article mentions, the zinc deficiency is commonly overlooked and since this overlooking is practically the norm, doctors ignore prescribing zinc supplements which are in fact quite inexpensive. You can feel free to take zinc supplements. Zincovit can be taken. However, my suggestion would be to go for Cobadex CZS tablet once daily since it contains a higher amount of zinc. Try taking it for 3-6 months.

Let me know if I could help further.