Suggest remedies for severe facial acne

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor,

You prescribed doxycycline to me and clindax A gel, for my acne treatment, but I have already tried these medications as well but didn't work. Currently I'm using sebamed face wash. If you could suggest any other medicines for me, and foods that I should probably avoid in my diet for my acne.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
hello. Thank you for writing to me.

i would like to know if you have any history of Irregular menstural cycles like scant flow or skipped cycles? Or growth of coarse facial hair on chin or upper lip region? Or overweight issues?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Hello doctor,

I'm not facing any problems with my menstrual cycles, I've always had normal menstrual cycles. No growth of facial hair, and in fact I had my ultrasound done few months ago but my reports were normal, no signs of pcod or any other complications. I'm overweight though. Is that the only reason for my acne?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Restart isotretinoin, add metformin and weight reduction measures

Detailed Answer:
hi.

Overweight people have insulin resistance i.e they have higher insulin levels as compared to others. Higher insulin in turn has an effect on levels of other hormones including sexual hormones which can cause acne. So weight reduction can be of help in those with insulin resistance by eating healthy and regular exercise.
I would suggest you to restart isotretinoin 20mg. You may continue with topicals as well. In addition you may take a tablet of Metformin (Glyciphage500mg) once daily; this is to improve the effects of insulin resistance.